To be responsible for the work of the Club.
- Preside at all meetings of the Club, at Executive Board meetings, and on all occasions where her service is required.
- Appoint all committees.
- Establish an ad hoc budget committee and lead that group in developing an annual budget of the Club.
- Ensure that issues and opportunities that arise in your tenure are addressed and resolved.
- Take issues that affect the finances, member obligations, or direction of the Club to the Board for approval.
- Represent the Club at meetings of the Garden Clubs of Illinois (GCI) and District II of GCI.
- Secure raffle prize donations for GCI meetings, as budgeted.
- In the event an officer is unable to complete her term, appoint an interim officer.
- Arrange to have the Treasurer’s accounts audited at the end of her term.
Universal Tasks Expected of All Executive Board Members:
- Meet with the member who previously held your role to better understand the responsibilities of the job, tasks required to fulfil those responsibilities, and a timeline for those tasks. The member previously holding the role should also share insights she has gained from her experience and any suggestions that she has for improving the job done in the future.
- Obtain records and materials related to your position from your predecessor. Review these and store them for future use.
- Make sure that any information which needs to be included in the annual Yearbook is finalized and given to the Yearbook Chairman in accordance with her schedule.
- Critically review current practices to identify opportunities to improve efficiency, clarify communications, and reduce costs.
- Keep receipts for your expenses and stay within the approved budget for your function.
- Ask the Corresponding Secretary to include any special information needed for the next meeting in her meeting reminder to all members.
- Prepare a report documenting your tasks and accomplishments for the year. These reports are due in April of each year.
- Attend Board Meetings arranged by the President.
- Respond in a timely fashion on all votes required.
April – June, preceding term of office (after installation):
- Shadow current President
- Work with the outgoing President to appoint standing committee chairs and Philanthropy chair for coming two club years
- Determine budget for the coming year (work with treasurer and one or two other members)
- Have audit of finances (first year of term)
- Add signature of new president to bank account (first year of term)
- Yearbook should be printed and distributed before September meeting
- Executive board should meet prior to regular September meeting to approve budget
- Appoint Nominating chair and committee
- Nominating committee should meet in January to determine new slate of officers
- Nominating committee announces nominations at February meeting
- Treasurer should collect membership dues in February and submit GCI dues
- Ways and Means chairs should distribute plant sale order forms
- General membership votes on nominations of new officers
- Remind committee chairs and officers annual reports due next month
- Ask a former President to Install new officers at the April meeting
April – June:
- Work with incoming President to secure committee chairs for upcoming two club years (second year of term)
- Collect annual reports
- Obtain Board approval of program schedule for upcoming club year
- Determine and approve money available for philanthropy
- Turnover files to successor (second year of term)