The Ornamental Garden:
- Plant spring-flowering bulbs as long as the ground is not frozen.
- Protect evergreen trees and shrubs with an additional watering this month.
- Prune deciduous shrubs and trees. Once leaves have fallen it is much easier to see the structure of the plant and where branches need to be thinned.
- Drain outdoor water pipes and hoses.
- Clean and store all garden equipment and tools.
The Indoor Garden:
- Rotate your houseplants to promote even growth.
- On cold nights move houseplants back from icy windows to prevent chilling injury.
- Plant Paper Whites. They can be grown in water alone or in gravel kept moist. Keep them in a cool, bright window and within a few weeks, the small daffodil flowers open with a distinct aroma. Plant in succession so you will have a new group coming into flower throughout the next month.